We are all different shapes and sizes, I don't seem to have much of a waist so I need jeans with a lower waistband in order for the fit to be right. Every style of jean seems to be fashionable to wear at the moment which gives us a great choice and means we can choose a style and colour that flatters.
For those of us with shorter legs a longer length is needed to elongate and there is nothing worse than jeans that flap around the ankles, showing a flash of sock! There are a few basic rules which I try to stick to when choosing a new pair ...
- The darker the denim the slimmer your legs will appear.
- Bootcut flatters most people.
- Skinny jeans are great with boots, flat or high.
- Flared jeans should only be worn with heels, in my opinion.
- Black jeans are great for the evening.
- Back pockets, depending on how they are placed can make your bottom look bigger or smaller. Small pockets tend to make you look bigger while large pockets reduce.
- Too low a waist and it looks just plain nasty and you run the risk of 'builders bottom' if you bent down.
- A slightly stretchy denim is more comfortable and fits better.
- Unnecessary detailing such as sequins can look cheap.
- Tapered jeans seem to be making a comeback - they can make your thighs look huge!
- If the jeans have distressing it should be well done - no one looks good with two pale stripes on the front of the thighs!
- A lower waist flatters the waist.
- Carrot top jeans - just look plain awful, enough said.
- Boyfriend jeans are great casual jeans - only wear with flats.
- Cropped jeans look good on no one. They shorten the appearance of your legs and make your thighs look big - sorry but its true!
|Too low, odd white patches, too short ... need I go on?|
|These dark blue jeans would suit most women|
|Dark and skinny, perfect length|
|These are from Tommy Hilfiger. Just enough detailing, great daytime colour - they seem a little low but in reality are not - it must be that the model is very tall!|
As with most things, the more you pay, the better the quality and fit. Next do a very good range of jeans at very keen prices, click here to have a look. My current favourite brand is Tommy Hilfiger. For me the fit is fantastic and the prices arn't ridiculous. Click here to look at the Tommy Hilfiger range.
I wish I had the legs to wear these ...